Creamy and delicious vegan risotto – with no butter or cheese!
1 onion or 3 shallots
I pack of asparagus ( I prefer the thin type for this)
I cup of peas
I leek (halved and chopped up into small slices)
1L veggie stock
wholegrain risotto rice
3/4 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper
nutritional yeast flakes
- Cut up the asparagus into small discs leaving the tips for garnish.
- Put about 1 litre of veggie stock in a pan on the stove and simmer.
- In a large flat pan over medium heat, heat oil, onion, leeks, garlic, and a few pinches of salt. Cook until onion and leeks are soft, 5-10 minutes.
- Add rice, stir together, and let the rice toast for about 1 minute.
- Add a glass of white wine and the juice of half a lemon and let it cook, stirring for about 2 minutes until the wine is somewhat evaporated.
- Add stock, one ladle full at a time, stirring continuously. When stock becomes mostly cooked down, add the next ladle full. This process should take about 20-30 minutes. Add more stock or water if necessary. Stir in nutritional yeast – 1tbs twice or three times during the process to thicken the sauce and give it that creamy texture without using butter.
- During the last few minutes of this process, add in asparagus and peas.
- Before you use all the stock up, blanch the asparagus tips in the stock and set aside to garish.
- Remove pan from heat. remaining lemon juice, lemon zest (reserve a bit for garnish at the end). Stir together. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more hot stock if necessary to reach your desired consistency.
- Scoop into bowls and garnish with lemon zest, asparagus tips and black pepper.